Roman Forum 2006

Roman Forum 2006
Foro Romano, from the Palatine Hill - a favorite photo from one of my favorite cities

Monday, April 30, 2012

Cornwall: St. Ives days 2 and 3

A very short post, as I think I've described St Ives as well as I could. The second day was nearly as nice as the first. I visited the Barbara Hepworth Museum and Garden, and also the St Ives Museum, one of the most eclectic mixes I've ever seen: mining, fishing, Victorian clothing, paintings of parts of St Ives by locals. 
St. Ives, from a climb I took on Saturday morning


Tregenna Castle


I also strolled to parts of the area I'd not yet seen, including Porthminster beachand high above it to an old castle, the Tregenna, built in the eighteenth century, but bought by the Great Western Railway in 1878 to be used as a hotel, one year after the rail company installed the St Ives line, a very short but very scenic ride as it hugs the beautiful coastline. The Tregenna remains a posh hotel today and boasts a well-known golf course, as well as spectacular views of St Ives below. 


An look at St Ives from an even higher view
at Tregenna Castle


I nosed around the waterfront, looking into touristy shops (nearly bought two sweaters!) and buying the staff of ICLC some Cornish clotted cream fudge, made in St. Ives. Every time I hear the name "clotted cream" I sure that my cholesterol is rising, but I do like it with tea and scones in the afternoon!  


I lunched on the waterfront, but while I probably should have gone back to the excellent Sea Food Cafe I instead went to Pizza Express -- I couldn't resist! 
A Tale of Two Cornwalls part 1
I put two photos in a facebook album titled A Tale of Two Cornwalls yesterday. 
The first showed Porthcurno beach bathed in sunshine with gentle seas, 
A Tale of Two Cornwalls part 2
the other from my third day in St. Ives, which ended at about noon as caught a train from St. Ives to St. Erth in gale force winds and rain with about 15 other travelers all of whom huddled into what little shelter there was. I waited again in similar conditions and equally little shelter at St. Erth for a train that was delayed, and when it finally came its doors would not open until a worker ran down the train doing it manually. We all got soaked because we raced gratefully for our coaches as soon as we saw the train coming! And that train ride, supposed to last 5 hours, lasted over 7. It was a comedy of errors, as trees had fallen on tracks, The train manager kept announcing positive messages, but we got re-routed, ending up on a "short-cut" that took us through Bristol (!) and Bath. We were stuck behind a slow train, and it took us forever! I was supposed to get to Paddington at 6 pm and I got off the train at 8:30 pm! 


While the end of the trip and journey home were not ideal, I very much enjoyed my stay in Cornwall, and may well visit again!
St Ives from Harbour Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment